What is J-STAGE?
J-STAGE is an electronic journal platform for science and technology information in Japan, developed and managed by the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST). J-STAGE aims to accelerate the speed of communication and ensure the internationalization of the science and technology information published in Japan. By providing an online publication platform, J-STAGE supports Japanese societies and research organizations, and has published more than 2,000 journals, conference proceedings and other academic publications with high speeds at low costs.
J-STAGE offers support to publishers in the form of the entire publication process, from submission and peer-review process to publishing. J-STAGE users can also access and create their own libraries of information anytime and anywhere with the assistance of J-STAGE. These libraries can be used on multiple devices.
On the Journal@rchive initiative (Preserving intellectual property in Japan)
JST had launched a project named "Journal@rchive" in 2002. This project entails electronically archiving older, historically important paper-based Japanese journals from their first issue to the latest.
We have successfully archived 664 journals within 5 years since 2009. We published the archived journals on the Journal@rchive website globally, and made available the past important publications to the general public worldwide. This archive includes papers authored by Nobel Prize winners such as Hideki Yukawa, Shinichiro Tomonaga, and Kenichi Fukui, and other famous scientists such as Hantaro Nagaoka, Johkichi Takamine, and Umetaro Suzuki.
The website of Journal@rchive is now integrated with J-STAGE, and you can browse all the publications from the first volume/issue onwards on this platform.
Publications on J-STAGE are categorized as following:
- Research Report/Technical Report
Publications on J-STAGE has a wide variety of academic fields.
- Basic Sciences
- Mathematics / Physics / Chemistry / Earth Sciences and Astronomy
- Life Sciences
- Biology, Life Sciences and Basic Medicine / Agriculture and Food Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- General Medicine, Social Medicine, and Nursing Sciences / Clinical Medicine / Dentistry / Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Engineering in General / Nanosciences and Materials Sciences / Architecture and Civil Engineering / Mechanical Engineering / Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Interdisciplinary Sciences
- Information Sciences / Environmental Sciences / Interdisciplinary Sciences
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Philosophy, Religion / Literature, Language & Linguistics and Art / Anthropology, History and Geography / Law, Political Sciences / Economics, Business & Management / Sociology / Psychology, Education
Promotion of open access
J-STAGE promotes "open access", which consists of (1) free access to articles and (2) specifying the scope of reuse like modification or redistribution. Over 90% of articles on J-STAGE are free to read. Articles displaying a CC license can be reused under the terms of the license.
Please see Creative Commons website (external link) for more information about CC license.